Trading Standards are asking people in Peterborough – who think they might be a scam victim – to report it.
Figures show fewer than 5% report it to authorities.
Throughout July the Office of the Police and Crime Commissioner is supporting the Citizens Advice Scams awareness month.
Research also shows 37% of cold call-style scams relate to professional and financial services while two in five of all postal scams are lotteries or prize draws inviting people to claim a prize for a competition they haven¡¦t entered.
Top tell-tale signs for spotting scams include:
- If it sounds too good to be true it probably is.
- h If you haven¡¦t bought a ticket ¡V you can¡¦t win it.
- h You shouldn¡¦t have to pay anything to get a prize.
- h If in doubt, don¡¦t reply. Bin it, delete it or hang up.
- h Contacted out of the blue? ¡V be suspicious.
If you spot a scam or believe you may have been scammed you can contact your local Citizens Advice or the Citizens Advice consumer service on 08454 04 05 06