Northampton Borough Council will consider additional funding for the renovation of Delapre Abbey.
Next Wednesday, (October 21st) the council’ s Cabinet will consider improvements before the Delapre Abbey Preservation Trust (DAPT) takes over the building s operation later next year.
A capital contribution of £525,000 will enable a number of elements to be incorporated within phase one of the project and be in place prior to opening. These include:
- Provision of additional car parking over and above the existing hardstanding
- The restoration of the Delapre Lodge, located at the main abbey entrance from London Road
- The fit out of the retail space and purchase of stock
- The fit out of the education space
- The installation of superfast broadband and IT hardware to enable conference room hire, and operational activities of the trust
- The installation and fit out of a commercial kitchen
An increase in car parking will require planning permission, and a full inclusive community engagement will be carried out with local residents and other stakeholders ahead of that.
Councillor Tim Hadland, the borough council s Cabinet member for Regeneration, Enterprise and Planning, told Connect FM: ”This extra work is necessary to ensure that Delapre Abbey can open as a major local, regional and national heritage attraction.”
Rod Giddins, Chair of the Trust, told Connect FM: “We are committed to delivering a compelling new visitor attraction for Northampton.”
Find out more HERE