Police are urging people to stay safe in the run up to Christmas and over the New Year.
Tips include not accepting drinks form strangers to planning journeys home. Festive fun-seekers are also urged to follow the other guidance issued:
- When enjoying some time out at Christmas, don t leave your bag unattended
- Keep your purse safe in an internal pocket and don t carry your PIN number with you
- Don’t leave your drink unattended. It takes a matter of seconds for someone to tamper with a beverage.
- Consider equipping yourself with a personal safety alarm. Be aware of what is going on around you and be confident that you can keep safe.
- Plan your journey home. If you use a taxi, ensure it is registered. Make sure you know the locations of the official taxi ranks. Always carry the number of a trusted firm with you. When possible, try to share a taxi with a friend.
- If you have to walk home, walk with a friend. Stick to well-lit and busy streets and make sure someone knows the route you are taking. Do not walk home alone in the dark.
- Ensure your mobile phone is charged and in credit. But also remember to keep your phone hidden and just use it when you need to.
- Keep the money you need to get home separate from the rest of the cash you are carrying.
- If drinking alcohol, make sure you do not let the amount you drink affect your ability to take care of yourself.
- If you realise you have drunk too much or you feel strange after drinking something alcoholic or non-alcoholic, tell a friend straight away and make sure someone trusted within your group accompanies you home.