Christmas hamper catches fire in kitchen

Connect FM
Christmas hamper catches fire in kitchen

Two crews attended a fire at a house in Wingfield, Orton Goldhay, Peterborough following a call at around 9.10am yesterday morning (Dec 23).

A hamper, placed on top of the cooker, had caught fire after the cooker was accidentally turned on. The fire was contained to the surrounding area.

Firefighters used one hose reel to extinguish the fire and left the scene shortly before 10am.

One man was treated by paramedics at the scene for suspected smoke inhalation.

Station Commander Danny Kelly said: “The couple had just received the Christmas hamper this morning and placed it on top of the cooker. The cooker was accidentally switched on without the occupants being aware and this started the fire. “A cooker top seems a handy surface to use but this incident shows how easily the hob can accidentally get switched on and start a fire. “As we approach the Christmas weekend and worktops get used to their max with all the dinner preparations, please avoid using the cooker top to place things on.”

See more at: http://www.cambsfire.gov.uk/news-and-incidents/kitchen-fire-orton-3203.aspx#sthash.cB7LMNpo.dpuf

Comments

Leave a Reply

Latest

More