Jail for dangerous motorcyclist

Connect FM
Jail for dangerous motorcyclist

A motorcyclist who led police officers on two high speed chases in a bid to escape prosecution has been jailed for 30 months.

Paul Whyatt, 57, of Wisbech Road, Thorney was handed the sentence at Peterborough Crown Court on Thursday (March 9) after being found guilty of two counts of perverting the course of justice and two counts of dangerous driving.

He had previously pleaded guilty to possession of a bladed article.

The court heard how Whyatt was displaying false number plates on his BMW S1000 RR motorbike when he over took an off duty police officer on solid white lines on the A47 on April 4, 2015.

He was spotted again with the false plates by the same officer, who was then on duty, on the A1(m) at Sawtry on April 9.

Whyatt was asked to pull over but after gesturing to the hard shoulder he increased his speed to more than 148mph.

The officers began a pursuit but due to its high speed and risk to the rider and other members of the public it was discontinued.

Almost two weeks later on April 22, officers were on route to an emergency call on the A15 Paston Parkway when Whyatt undertook one of the vehicles and made off on to the A47.

This time he was displaying the correct number plates.

Officers were deployed to block him on the A47 roundabout with the start of the Thorney by pass.

However, Whyatt failed to stop and accelerated off again reaching speeds in excess of 100mph.

He travelled through Thorney village and reached speeds of more than 114mph as he went back towards the A47 but officers were forced to stop the pursuit once again.

Officers were able to trace his details through the correct number plates and Whyatt was arrested later that evening.

He claimed he wasn’t riding the bike but video footage showing his clothing and mobile phone data led officers to believe he was.

The court also heard how Whyatt claimed another man was riding his bike in Thorney in 2013 when a speed camera was activated for riding 47mph in a 30mph zone.

PC Stuart Adam from the Road Policing Unit said: “The fact that Whyatt has received a lengthy custodial sentence for offences that didn’t result in injury or death demonstrate just how serious the courts take driving in this manner on our county’s roads.

“Whyatt’s motorbike had a top speed of 180mph and it’s clear from the video footage that on occasions he was reaching very high speeds.”

Whyatt was also handed a Criminal Behaviour Order banning him from riding a motorbike over 50cc for four years and three months.

He has also been disqualified from driving for three years and three months.


Leave a Reply