Two men have been jailed for a combined total of 30 years for a violent attack on a 17-year-old girl in Bridge Street, Northampton.
Beniamin-Ovidiu Ban, aged 30, of Clare Street, The Mounts, Northampton, was found guilty of two counts of rape following a trial in December last year. He was sentenced to 14 years with an extended sentence of five years.
Cosmin Vintan, aged 27, also of Clare Street, , pleaded guilty to two counts of rape. He was sentenced to 16 years with an extended sentence of seven years.
Vintan had a previous conviction for a similar attack in Romania and had been released in 2013.
Both men were sentenced at Northampton Crown Court on Friday, 28 April and will remain on the sex offenders register for life.
The attack took place at around 4am on a Sunday morning in April 2016. The victim had been out with friends and had left alone to walk towards Bridge Street to meet her boyfriend.
She was pulled into an alleyway by the defendants and raped. One of the defendants told her to stop screaming or he would kill her.
Detective Constable Kirsty Bathe, from CID, said: “Two dangerous and violent men who deliberately targeted a vulnerable female have been given sentences that reflect the seriousness of their crime. The victim has shown immense courage and strength standing up to her offenders not only to ensure they are put behind bars but also to prevent them from attacking other vulnerable women.
“I hope the sentences provide some closure for the victim but also demonstrates to the public of Northamptonshire that we remain resolute in our determination get make Northampton a safe place to be.”