Northamptonshire Fire and Rescue Service is urging residents to make sure they have a home escape plan.
The organisation says everyone should know what to do if a blaze breaks out.
If a fire starts in your home:
- Don’t try to fight the flames, smoke can overwhelm you in seconds
- If there’s smoke, stay low as you follow your escape route
- Check each door with the back of your hand before you open it – if it’s warm, don’t open it and find another route out
- Close internal doors as you leave, to reduce smoke and limit the spread of fire
- If you can’t get out, go to a safe room, shut the door and call for help
- Once outside, gather at your meeting place and call 999
- Don’t go back inside for anything, not even your pets. The fire service will tell you when it’s safe to return
- Remember: get out, stay out and call 999.
Find more escape plan advice at www.northantsfire.gov.uk