Dog owners across Northamptonshire are being reminded to keep pets on a lead when walking them in countryside – to prevent animals being killed.
There’s been instances of sheep, cattle, goats and horses being frightened or attacked by dogs – which can carry a fine of up to one thousand pounds.
Tips for safe and responsible dog walking around livestock
– Keep dogs on a lead and under control when walking through fields of livestock
– Always stick to public rights of way and leave all gates as you found them
– If you live beside land where livestock is grazed ensure you know where your dog is at all times, and keep your property secure so your dog cannot escape
– Cows can be curious and may follow walkers. If this happens, keep facing the animal and move calmly and slowly, don’t turn your back to it or run
– Steer well clear of young animals and do not try to pet them. Cows with calves will be protective and may become aggressive
– If you feel threatened by cattle when with a dog, let go of the lead so you and the dog can get to safety separately