The RSPCA is asking people to be more careful with how they use barbed wire after a hedgehog was trapped in fencing in for so long that half his body died .
The tiny mammal was found by a member of the public trapped between the steel strands in the barbed wire fencing in Yaxley.
It is thought the hedgehog had tried to climb through a hole in fencing, where there was a makeshift repair of barbed wire, and became stuck.
But when he tried to wriggle himself free the wire only tightened its grip.
RSPCA animal collection officer Amy Reiter said: The poor little mite must have been trapped there for days when we found him on February 10.
It looks as though he had been trying to crawl through the hole that was left and got one of his back legs trapped. Then when he tried to struggle free it just made the wire tighter and got him more entangled. It is one of the worst injuries I have seen. His back legs and his stomach had completely gone. They were rotten.
It was so distressing and I had to cut him free before I could do anything to help him.
It was so awful to see him suffering and in so much pain. Sadly once I had been able to cut him free I took him to a nearby vets to be put to sleep.
The charity is now appealing for members of the public to take more care when repairing fencing and urging them not to use barbed wire where animals may become trapped and suffer. It can help to have fencing professionally installed and to check it regularly for any wild animals that may have become trapped.