Northamptonshire Fire & Rescue Service says smoking is a major cause of fire in the county.
In Northants, in the financial year 2014-2015, there were 19 smoking related house fires, in which three people were injured. In 14 of these cases, the cause was linked to the careless disposal of smoking materials.
Since 2010, two people in Northamptonshire have died in house fires caused by smoking materials.
Whether someone is a new smoker or has been smoking for many years, there is always the potential for mistakes to be made when discarding used cigarettes or smoking materials.
For those who continue to smoke, below are some safety measures to remember.
Fire prevention messages:
-Never smoke in bed
-Use a proper ashtray when smoking, never a wastepaper basket
-Make sure your ashtray cannot tip over and is made of a material that won t burn
-Don t leave a lit cigarette, cigar or pipe lying around. They can easily fall over and start a fire
-Take extra care if you smoke when you re tired, taking prescription drugs, or if you ve been drinking. You might fall asleep and set your bed or sofa on fire
-Keep matches and lighters out of children s reach
-Make sure you test your smoke alarms every month as part of your regular household routine
-Make sure that everyone in your household knows your escape plan if fire should suddenly break out
-Shut all internal doors at night to protect your staircase and escape routes
The best prevention is to stop smoking altogether.
Area manager Mark Ainge, who leads the joint Prevention and Community Protection Department (Northamptonshire Police and Northamptonshire Fire & Rescue Service), said: The number of smoking related fires we see in this county makes it very important for the NFRS to support No Smoking Day. The best advice is always to stop smoking altogether but, for those who choose to continue, it is vital to follow basic safety steps when it comes to extinguishing cigarettes, cigars and matches.