As children in the Connect FM area continue to go back to school – The emergency services in Northamptonshire and Peterborough are urging parents to keep safe on the school run.
Data for 2016 says more than a third of injuries or deaths to children on UK roads occur between 7 and 9am or 3 and 5pm with figures showing 18 children aged 16 and under were killed or seriously injured and 84 slightly injured on Peterborough’s roads last year.
A spokesperson for Northants Police and Fire and Rescue says whether walking or taking the car – everyone has a responsibility to be sensible and safe.
Safety advice below:
Always consider the key points of The Green Cross Code:
– Find a safe place to cross.
– Stop just before you get to the kerb.
– Look all around for traffic and listen for it too.
– If traffic is coming, let it pass.
– Look and listen again. When it is safe, walk straight across the road – do not run.
– Keep looking and listening while you are crossing the road.