Emergency services in Essex are urging everyone to stay safe at bonfire parties and displays tonight.
They’ve issued advice to people holding their own displays in back gardens – but strongly recommend going to organised shows.
Below are some safety tips…
• Sparklers are not suitable for children under five. Light them one at a time and wear gloves.
• Don’t drink alcohol if setting off fireworks.
• Always supervise children around fireworks.
• Only buy fireworks with a CE marking.
• Keep a bucket of water handy when using fireworks.
• Stand clear of fireworks.
• Never return to a lit firework.
• Fireworks cannot be purchased by under 18s.
• Light fireworks at arm’s length using a safety firework lighter or fuse wick.
• Keep fireworks in a closed box.
• Keep pets indoors.
• Follow firework instructions.
• Don’t let noisy fireworks off after 11pm.
• Be aware of firework legislation – see: www.gov.uk/fireworks-the-law